Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and if you’re anything like me, you are probably racking your brain trying to find a new and meaningful way to show your significant other just how much you appreciate them. Sure it is easy to pick up a box of chocolates, flowers and a store bought card – but that isn’t how N and I roll. We like to do something special for each other, something that requires thought and effort – usually something homemade.
This year I spoiled my boyfriend a bit early with an amazing new recipe – Bacon Chocolate Chip Biscotti. They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and after making these treats I can believe it! These biscotti are infused with bacon fat and dotted with rich chunks of chocolate – satisfying your sweet, salty and savory desires all in one bite. Whether you dunk them in your morning coffee or indulge after dinner – these unique treats are sure to be a hit, and a conversation starter.
Just a warning – these aren’t one of my healthy dessert creations. They are decadent and delicious and should be enjoyed in moderation!
Bacon Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Inspired by: Serious Eats
3 strips of bacon (reserve the fat – should be just slightly less than 1/4 cup)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
coarse sea salt
- Fry bacon in a skillet until browned and crisp [and completely cooked]. Transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl to remove any excess grease and allow it to cool completely. Remove all excess bacon fat from the skillet and set aside. DO NOT THROW THIS AWAY – you’ll need it in a minute.
- Chop the cooled bacon – it should be just a touch larger than the bits you would find in a caesar salad. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. In large bowl, beat the butter, reserved bacon fat and sugar with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy, two or three minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and beat until blended. Stir in bacon and chocolate chips.
- Gather the dough into one large ball and divide it into two equal pieces. Wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On floured surface, roll each piece of dough out into a 12 to 14-inch log. They will seem very thin for biscotti but trust me. Sprinkle each log with a pinch of coarse sea salt.
- Transfer logs to baking sheet spacing them 3 to 4 inches apart. Bake until light golden and dry to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF. Allow logs to cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer logs to cutting board and slice logs on the diagonal into 1/2 thick pieces using a serrated knife.
- Return slices to baking sheet, standing upright, and bake until dry and golden, 20 to 30 minutes – depending on the desired crispness.
These little gems have been a hit amongst everyone I’ve shared them with. I know there are a lot of steps in the recipe but it is really easy to follow. Most of your time is spent waiting as opposed to working. Give it a shot – they are too delicious to pass up!