Now that New York Fashion Week has come and gone, reviews and trends are popping up all over the internet. Despite some amazing new designer collections, I have been fawning over the nail polish trends that have emerged. Being able to afford a brand new piece from a runway collection is but a dream for most people, however, purchasing a few new polishes is completely within the average budget.
Here are my favourite emerging nail trends for Spring 2013.
1. The Shiny-Matte Mani -as seen at Angel Sanchez, this look is different enough from the classic french manicure but still subtle. You can use any colour you like just make sure the base is matte and the tip is shiny. I have spotted this trend floating around the internet a bit over the past year, however, I am sure it will gain popularity since being debuted at NYFW.
2. The Snow White Manicure – very fitting for those of us in the north that have seen dumps of snow fill our yards. This all white, milky manicure stomped down the runway at Karen Walkers show. The light hue is a big change from all the dark shades that have been popular lately – it is nice to see a big change in nail trends.
3. The Racing Stripe Mani – if you aren’t feeling bold enough to pull off an entirely metallic nail, a single centered stripe is a great option. This look was debuted at the Monika Chiang Runway.
4. The Two Tone Shadow Mani – I have been rocking the two tone trend quite frequently over the last few months, but I never once thought to use similar hues to create a shadow effect. This is definitely something I will be rocking within the next couple weeks. Thanks to Phillip Lim for the inspiration.
5. Nails Inc Leather Effect Mani – thanks to hipster gone commercial, Alexa Chung, the textured manicure has gained serious ground. After tweeting a picture of her British Fashion Week Nail look, the Nails Inc Leather Effect polish sold out immediately. Although this look debuted in December of 2012, I am confident that it will last at least until the end of Spring 2013.
6. Ciate Colourfoil Mani – the perfect mix of metallic and nail art married by a cult favourite nail brand. With three different colour palates, there is a polish kit for any mood. I am waiting for Sephora to release these kits – I am dying to try it.
7. Magnetic Nail Colour – although this polish trend hit the scene in 2012, it has been gaining popularity due to the increase in sophistication. Earlier magnetic polishes allowed only wave designs, now you can create a reptile like finish by simply holding the lid over a wet coat of lacquer. I have not been able to purchase any of the “repstyle” collection in Ottawa, however, thanks to a great friend in Toronto I have a bottle waiting for me to try.
8. Light and Icy Nail Colour -the new Zang Toi Spring Summer 2013 Collection for Zoya offers some great shades to ease your way into the lighter hues. My favourites include – Julie (cool lilac), Gei Gei (icy pink) and Piaf (shimmery yellow).
9. Green Hues – whether it is emerald (Pantone’s Colour of the Year) or mint, both colours will be extremely popular throughout the Spring months. My favourite green look is from the Nicole Miller Runway, a dark nail with an emerald accent (as seen in the photo above). I can’t wait to try this combination.
I hope at least one of these nine manicures will peak your interest and inspire you to get painting. What nail trends are you coveting for 2013?