Remember this post? It has been a month since I set out out to do things for myself – so now it is time to check in.
The goals I set for myself were:
1. Treat myself to real flowers.
2. Buy a bottle of wine instead of drinking only homemade.
3. Be more observant.
4. Pamper myself.
5. Perform at least one random act of kindness.
Honestly, I thought it would be a breeze to change my lifestyle and adapt these practices. Boy was I wrong. Here is where I stand.
1. I have not bought myself new flowers per se, however, Neil bought me some for Valentine’s Day and we planted some new herbs [more to come on that soon]. Not bad – better luck this month.
2. This was actually quite a success. The $100 gift card I received definitely made this goal easier to follow through with. I think this is something I will continue in the future, it is so much more luxurious than drinking homemade.
3. Being observant is not my strong suit. It is something I used to do very well and then trained myself to stop. It has become easy to turn a blind eye. I am noticing that since setting this goal for myself I force myself to notice the small things. Like this Instagram shot for example.
Nothing special about it, but I liked the combination of items and the way the light was hitting them. That is something I wouldn’t have given a second glance in the past.
4. Done and done. This was easy… Despite treating myself to a hair trim and a fiery red new colour.
I also took time to give myself at home facials, manicures and relax in the hot tub. Oh and I just pressed “place order” on the Sephora website.
5. I am so proud to tell you that I did perform a random act of kindness. I’m not just talking about giving up my seat on the bus or picking up a lost mitten. No, I actually went out of my way to help someone. While I was waiting in line to pay for my groceries, I overheard the cashier telling the patron in front of me that she did not have enough money for her items. It seemed as though she hadn’t brought anything extra with her and was ready to leave empty handed. Had I not been cognizant of my kindness goal, I likely wouldn’t have said anything – this time, I offered to pick up the difference on my bill. The patron wasn’t very thankful, but I felt great about helping someone out.
All in all – I’d say my new take on Fabulous Friday was a success. I am not ready to add five more goals for myself since I can only confidently admit that I will stick to two tasks. So, I’m replacing number 2 and 4 and adding two more, which are:
1. Stop checking my phone before bed. This is a such a bad habit that I’ve picked up. I’ll spend at least ten minutes scrolling through Instagram, Facebook and Twitter before I fall asleep – not anymore. Neil – hold me accountable.
2. Drink more water. At least two water bottles a day to start.
Hope you are still pushing yourself to achieve your 2013 goals! I’d love to hear what you guys are working towards!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll be keeping things low key, but I am extremely excited to try out my first class at iNSiDE Out STUDiO barre. If you are interested in giving barre class a try – your first class is free at iNSiDE Out STUDiO barre and I am fortunate to have been given a second free class as well thanks to lululemon [because of this issue].