I never thought the day would come that I would be making homemade sushi, it always seemed like such a complicated and time consuming process, but rice-less sushi, that is another story. You can whip up a few rolls in under 10 minutes and add a few extra veggies to your meal without even realizing.
Last week I share my [second] cauliflower crust pizza recipe with you, today on the menu: cauliflower “rice” sushi for one, or you can double, or triple the recipe if you feel like sharing.
– half a medium head of cauliflower
– 3 pieces of roasted nori
-3 slices of smoked salmon [you should use sushi grade salmon instead]
– half an avocado
– 1/3 cucumber
– rice wine vinegar
– tamari sauce for dipping [or soy sauce if you can eat gluten]
1. In a food process, pulse the cauliflower until you achieve a rice like texture.
2. Microwave the cauliflower rice for 4 or 5 minutes depending on your microwave.
3. Allow the rice to cool completely before squeezing the moisture out using a cheese cloth or a light dish towel. I usually do these steps the day before I make my sushi.
4. Add a few splashes of rice vinegar to your cauliflower rice and mix well. Taste as you go.
5. Lay the three pieces of nori on a flat dry surface and fill with remaining ingredients. Make you slice the avocado and cucumber thinly. I find it best to start with the “rice” then layer the veggies and fish.
6. Roll the nori up and wet your fingers just a bit to seal the end to the roll. Slice with a sharp knife and serve chilled.
It ain’t all you can eat, but it sure is delicious [and extra healthy].