Cue the drooling. These ooey, gooey bars are unreal [okay – I couldn’t taste test them myself because they contain both dairy and gluten, but the reaction of others is enough for me to guarantee my statement]. This recipe is surprisingly simple, however, the clean up at the end is just a bit stick [duh – we are using caramel]. Just soak the dish in warm water before trying to scrub, you’ll thank me!
Salted Caramel, Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Recipe from: Two Peas and Their PodIngredients
2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
3 tablespoons heavy cream (or half & half)
Sea salt, for sprinkling over caramel and bars
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a square Pyrex dish (approximately 9X9) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugars, using an electric beater if you have one, until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream (or half & half). Microwave caramels on high until caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave.
5. Divide the cookie dough in half. Press half of the cookie dough into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Pour hot caramel over the cookie dough. Sprinkle caramel with sea salt. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the caramel and spread dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered. Sprinkle the bars with additional sea salt.
6.Bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool bars in the Pyrex dish. I left mine in the fridge overnight before cutting and serving.
PS – The winner of the Revlon giveaway is [drum roll please!]…Please send me an e-mail to claim your prize! Thank you to everyone who took the time to enter the Revlon Haute Tropics giveaway! If you weren’t the lucky winner, remember the Haute Tropics collection is in store for the next three weeks only – so what I am saying is don’t wait, these colours are too beautiful to pass up!
NOTE: I wrote everyone’s name down beside a number that entered and used the random number generator to select the winner.